Monday, September 2, 2013

WWE Superstars Review 31/08/2013

For those who may be unfamiliar with the format of Superstars, its essentially 2 low card matches and about 20 minutes of RAW re-caps. Much like my review, this weeks Superstars was different. It actually had an excellent 6 man tag match, and the main event was something which could easily main event any PPV imo. Dolph Ziggler vs Antonio Cesaro.

I'm going to assume everyone reading this has either seen last weeks RAW, or has at least read/heard about what went down, so rather than reviewing the re-caps, I will give you whatever my half functional brain comes up with. We all cool with that? Excellent.

 The Usos and Justin Gabriel vs 3MB

Everyone not called Jinder Mahal raise your hand! Ok....everyone with their hand raised, please be secure in the knowledge that I am a fan of tour work, and If I had my way, you'd at least be on RAW jobbing to the Daniel Bryans and CM Punks of this world. Anyway, this was a very entertaining match. Great to see these guys get some decent time, and actually display the talent they have for this "wrestling" thing I keep hearing so much about. Gabriel seals the win with the 450 splash. Perhaps the most criminally underused guy on the roster in terms of talent, at least Drew and Heath have something with 3MB which gives them TV time. Maybe my petition to have the Miz welded to a canoe and pushed out into the Atlantic Ocean will get enough signatures, and a spot could open up for Gabriel, but yeah. Excellent match. Considering the opened was Jinder vs Khali the last time I watched Superstars, this was like a dream.

RAW RECAP ALTERNATIVE

Gimmick Comparisant

Micheal Mcgillicutty vs Curtis Axel

I'm torn on this one. As half baked, and forgettable as Mcgillicutty was, at least he didn't cut any promos. None which I can recall anyway. It was also pretty bold of him to not cash in on his heritage and try to make it on his own. The Curtis Axel re-invention ave him some spark, but it has also given him a lot of mic time, and that just isn't ideal for anyone is it. It's not that he's bad on the mic, its just that he's so bad on the mic, it makes me want to rip my ears clean off my head and throw them in a wood-chipper.Maybe a future re-invention as just Joe Hennig would be nice...or "Mr Average"

We now return to our regular scheduled programming. Match 2 of this weeks WWE Superstars, feauturing the king of selling moves Dolph Ziggler, and one of the kings of executing said moves...Antonio Cesaro

Dolph Ziggler vs Antonio Cesaro

Bends my tiny Scottish mind that this is on Superstars, yet a 42 year old RVD vs Albert Del Rio is the WH Title match for Night Of Champions. This was just wonderful. I can't even describe it. I will, but I cant. Its too much. We have all the expected spots, but when they are performed between two slices of wrasslin perfection  like these guys, it makes them even better. A body shattering gut-wrench throw from Cesaro which Dolph sells like he's been hit by an escalade, followed by that mind boggling suspended second rope superplex, where Cesaro actually holds Dolph in the air for at last 5 or 6 seconds. Unbelievable strength. Dolph briefly gets the upper hand, and hits the fameasser, but Swagger and Zeb distract him on the outside and Cesaro hits the uppercut which I like to call the "throw him up in the air really high, and catch him with the uppercut on the way down" Catchy right? He then hits the neutralizer for the win. And for the first time in the 12 minutes since it started. I was able to exhale.

Raw Recap Alternative. 

Word Association - Scott Steiner

Scott Steiner. Recliner. 'Rana. Gibberish. Veiny bicep. Sexism. Lights on, nobody home.

I hope you enjoyed this review. Superstars was actually very good this week, but usually it isn't, so unless you've forgotten what JTG looks like, or you missed RAW, you probably shouldn't bother watching it.


No comments:

Post a Comment