Sunday, June 16, 2013

WWE Payback Preview/Predictions

Payback aye? We just firing auld PPV names intae a thesaurus and bustin oot a simile? What was up wae Backlash anyway, cause "Backlash is a bitch" disnae make for a good soundbite? Throughout this wee preview I may refer to this PPV as Backlash, both accidentally and on purpose. Apologies in advance if this confuses ye...

Damien Sandow vs Sheamus (Pre-Show)

Disappointing not to see this on the main card, as its not been a completely boring wee feud. Would have been a chance for Sandow to show what he's made of as a singles competitor, but such is life eh. It might actually make me watch the pre-show for the first time since it used tae hosted by the bold Todd Pettingill, so that's something. I expect an unfortunately predictable win for Sheamus, but hopefully we see a decent match, with Sandow looking strong.

Wade Barrett vs Curtis Axel vs The Miz (Intercontinental Title Match)

My expectations are low because of The Miz being involved, but he was part of a cracking triple threat match on Raw not long ago with Barrett and Y2J, so this might not necessarily be shite!
I think Axel will probably have a run with the IC Belt soon enough, to pay homage tae his auld da The Perfect One, but its mibbe a bit too soon. To push him as this sleekit wee heel who cant win without help, and then have him take one of the second tier belts within a month of his debut would be a bit baffling. For that reason I think Barrett will retain, but I would be awrite with Axel winning aswell, the third outcome disnae bear thinking about.

Rollins and Reigns vs Bryan and Orton (Tag Title Match)

Match of the night written all over it for me. Bryan and Rollins have an unreal chemistry together, so I reckon the bulk of the match will involve they two mad yins tearing it up. With Bryan as over as anyone has been in wrestling since the early days of Austin, I could see this maybe being where Orton turns heel. Cant see any other outcome than The Shield retaining in any event.

Dean Ambrose vs Kane (US Title Match)

Maybe this is a wee reward for Kane's part in Team Hell No's success, because it makes nae sense as a US Title match really. It'll probably be good, Ambrose doesn't seem capable of producing anything else, but ultimately fairly pointless. Get him in there with folk like Cesaro and Sandow asap please. Ambrose retains or the world no longer makes sense tae me.

Kaitlyn vs AJ Lee  (Divas Title Match)

They have pushed this feud as a shouty soap opera type  thing, so I cant see the match being uptae much. A refreshing change to see a divas match on a PPV with a decent build up, but I cannae see it lasting longer than 3-4 minutes, with some kind of Big E distraction leading to AJ winning the title.

Fuckin aw title matches so far bar one, whit we daein calling it Backlash if it has the exact same premise as Night of Champions? (which after a wee google, I can confirm is still in the PPV rotation)We having a wee Royal Rumble at Summerslam this year anaw?

Dolph Ziggler vs Alberto Del Rio (World Heavyweight Title Match)

Dreading this yin. As much as I am looking forward to Dolphs first defence after 5 weeks out, I have a feeling he might drop the belt. He has been made to look as weak as possible anyway, after being pinned on Smackdown, and I'm just not convinced he was ever going tae get a decent run. I dont think him holding on to MITB for so long was the plan all along tbh, I reckon they were just hesitant to put the belt on him, and his injury has opened up a great opportunity to take the back belt off him while he has zero momentum. I'll allow my seldom seen optimistic side to win here though and predict a Ziggler win. 

CM Punk vs Chris Jericho

I named Shield vs Bryan and Orton my potential MOTN, purely because I'm not entirely sure we'll see Punk tonight. I think this angle has been created to take advantage of what will be a feverish hometown crowd, only to let them down and build up heat for Punks actual return. As great as this match will be, it would make little sense for Punk to return to a match with Y2J which would mean fuck all in the grand scheme of things. Again but, I sincerely hope I'm just being para and they produce another scintillating match. If the match happens, Punk wins.

John Cena vs Ryback (WWE Title Match)

I'm keeping an open mind here as I actually enjoyed their match at Extreme Rules. I have little or nae interest in the feud and Rybacks promo work makes me sick in my mooth, but as a match this might be awrite. Here's my problem with it though, I can only strongly recall one Three Stages of Hell match before (I'm sure I seen the Orton v HHH one but I cannae really remember it), and that was the first one between Austin and Triple H. In that one we had the match as the beginning, middle and end of the PPV, and whilst that was awrite when it was a match between two people I gave a fuck about, If its the same format tonight I cannae see me still being interested when Cena and Rywack come oot for the third time. So I'd love to see it given the last 30-40 minutes of the PPV, that way it disnae get in the way of the rest of what could be a potentially decent ppv, and if the match is good, the PPV ends on a high note. If its shite, we pretend the whole wretched thing didnae happen. Cena fuckin better win in any case.

That's that. Enjoy yer Payback(lash), and remember, whether its at home, school, yer work, up yer aunties loft, in the bakers fur it openin, or even in the middle of River Islands autumn sale...Stay Safe...Dont try this.

Predictions

Sheamus
Barrett
Rollins and Reigns (with shades of an Orton heel turn)
Ambrose
AJ Lee
Ziggler
Punk (although I reckon it might not happen)
Cena

No comments:

Post a Comment