Thursday, June 13, 2013

Top 5 - Push Them (Push them real good)

The WWE currently have a wealth underutilised  talent, so I thought I'd write about the top 5 folk who should be "pushed"(in my opinion) Dont ask why I made it intae a top 5 thing, I have no idea, it just felt like a decent number. Well rounded. Aye...anyway here we go, the top 5 who should receive a push...

5. Cody Rhodes

I haven't the faintest idea as to what creative are doing with him, if anything. I assumed he was paired with Damien Sandow for them to have a run with the tag belts, which would eventually lead to them being pushed as singles, but it appears Sandow is getting something of a singles push now, and Cody is in limbo. Stuck jobbing to The Miz on various shows and just generally floatin aboot being irrelevant. He's far too talented for that, so either give him something good, or cut him loose to be a factor somewhere else. I'd love to see him with Jericho, either in a feud, or perhaps Jericho turning heel and mentoring him to be a sleekit bastard just like heel Y2J is.

4. Damien Sandow

I wasn't daft on him until quite recently. His character felt like a bit of a copy of a few characters from wrestling past. Shades of "The Genius"  and even a wee bit of heel Macho Man in there in terms of his gear and his pompous attitude, but for me he has come into his own lately. Becoming more and more impressed with his in-ring work too and I've been amused by elements of this wee feud with Sheamus (right up until that inevitable bit in the promo, where Sheamus Brogue Kicks Sandow intae next week, thats no gettin auld or anything Sheamus mate, honestly) Actually quite looking forward to their match at Payback, but I seriously doubt it'll be anything other than a Sheamus win. Keeping him strong for this seemingly endless floating between meaningless wee feuds.

3. Wade Barrett

I know he has the IC Belt, but it hasn't led to the push for him I'd hoped. I thought the "Barrett Barrage" patter would have been the start of a dominant era from him, but they seem to make him look weak at any opportunity, namely making him tap to that fuckin joke of a Figure 4 last week from The Miz after he was distracted by a fuckin guy and a lassie dancing for some reason. So there's two key reasons for him needing a push right there "taps to shite submission holds" and "has a less than admirable attention span when there's anycunt dancing in the vicinty". For me, I'd love to see him make the IC Belt relevant again by having long and brutal feuds for it, not playing Pass The Parcel with the fuckin Miz. Remember the feud The Rock and Triple H had for the IC Belt in the late 90s? (which had one of, if not the best ladder match of all time at Summerslam 98)  a feud like that, maybe between him and Sheamus (who has gone completely stale) or even Fandango if they drop some of the dafter elements of his gimmick. He isn't a complete irrelevance, but for me he is a potential option as a main eventer if he is given a proper push.

2. The Usos

I know eh, how can it be a Top 5 if theres two of them? We're bending rules aw ower the place here. The Usos impress me whenever I see them (not often right enough) and are probably the most talented of the actual tag teams on the roster. It makes a lot of sense if they are pushed intae challenging Rollins and Reigns (assuming they retain at Payback)and you'd expect some decent matches between them, perhaps leading to a proper revival of the tag team division, with real teams with real chemistry having good tag matches, fuckin outlandish hauf baked idea right enough, but we can only dream.

1. Antonio Cesaro

Antonio Cesaros current predicament at WWE is why I'll never fully understand wrestling booking, because I just cant see any downside to this guy. Solid on the mic for a guy not speaking his native tongue, and I dont think I've ever seen him have a bad match. His style is so engaging and unique that you cant take your eyes off it. The match he had with El Zaynerico on NXT this week was unreal, and you have to wonder why these incredible talents are having fantastic matches on the show that doesn't even have a TV deal in the USA, whilst cunts like Miz and Triple H clinging on the remains of his faiding relevance are allowed to eat up time on RAW. Having him drop the US Title to Kofi Kingston, before he almost immediately coughed it up to Ambrose was proof for me that they dont have a clue what to do with Cesaro, because why wouldn't you just have him wrestle Ambrose for the belt and probably have a few classic matches? I like Kofi, but you knew as soon as the match with him and Ambrose was announced that it was a forgone conclusion. If that was Cesaro, it would have felt like a much less of a certainty, and It would have been a much better match.

So theres my top 5 underutilised talents on the WWE roster. A few narrowly missed the list, like Kofi Kingston and even Orton, but for me, these are folk who have been stagnant for too long, and either need released or completely re-invented. Even a heel turn for Orton at this stage would feel a bit boring. Been there, seen it, bought the Legacy t-shirt.

That'll dae. Remember folks, safety; safety first, then teamwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment